George Kress Foundation On board Sail Excursion educational experiences
If you sign up for a sail excursion you will learn all about what life on board is like, including how they cook, sleep, shower and wash their clothes. Find out what it takes to be a crew member or a captain.
A Tall Ship adventure is a unique hands-on experience for the ship’s crew members, usually consisting entirely of volunteers and students. Many students sign up for the summer and become an essential part of the ship’s crew. This role usually involves more than just sailing. It may also include food preparation, ship maintenance and cleaning duties.
Water, sediment, and biological sampling provide students with tangible lessons in the marine environment as they personally encounter the physical effects of wind and wave. This formal study aboard a ship is frequently referred to as “sea education.” Historic vessels, or their reproductions, function as interpretive museum exhibits, conducting voyages of outreach to the public
George Kress Foundation Education Stage
Friday, August 5
- 12:30pm – Tom Kastle
- 1:30pm – Bounding Main
- 2:30pm – Scandinavian Heritage Workshop
- 3:30pm – Tom Kastle
- 4:30pm – Bounding Main
- 5:30pm – Tom Kastle
Saturday, August 6
- 9:30am – Tom Kastle
- 10:30pm – So You’d Like to be a Captain – Explorers Guide LLC
- 11:30am – Bounding Main
- 12:30pm – Land vs. Sea Cooking Showdown
- 2:30pm – Spanish Heritage Workshop – Dr. Rosemary Sands
Sunday, August 7 – Prevea Family Day!
- 10:30am – Scandinavian Cooking Demo – Chef Jon Lugen
- 11:30am – Spanish Heritage Workshop – Dr. Rosemary Sands
- 12:30pm – So You’d Like to be a Captain – Explorers Guide LLC
- 1:30pm – Scandinavian Heritage Workshop
- 2:30pm – Scandinavian Cooking Demo – Chef Jon Lugen